Frequently Asked Questions
Please note that the Library maintains a series of guides which also cover common questions and issues.
Library Access | Finding & Renewing Library Books, Journals and other Materials | Finding Information You Need | Accessing Online Resources | Classes | Interlibrary Services | Meeting Rooms | Wireless, Computing, and Software | Using the Print and Photocopy Management System (PPMS) | Library Statistics & Annual Reports | Artwork | Alumni Resource Access | Using the GET IT button (SFX)
- Who has access to Weill Cornell Medical Library?
- If I'm not affiliated with the Weill Cornell Medical Library, where can I go to find medical information?
- Do WCMC staff have access to the libraries of Rockefeller University, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, and the Hospital for Special Surgery?
- What is the Diethelm Library and how can I get access to its collection?
Finding & Renewing Library Books, Journals and other Materials
- How do I find a book, journal, and other materials?
- How do I check out a book, journal or other library materials?
- How can I renew my library materials without coming to the Library?
- How can I get a copy of an article from a journal volume, which has a catalog location of bind hold or a catalog status of bind prep or repair?
- What if the library doesn't own the journal or book I want?
Finding Information You Need
- How do I find a list of articles on a particular topic or by a certain author?
- My list of article citations contains abbreviations for the journal titles. How can I find the full name of the journals?
- How can I get a copy of a scale, test or questionnaire I need to use in my research?
- How can I find the complete citation for a book chapter, conference proceedings or meeting abstracts?
- How can I find an article from a recent issue of the New York Times?
- How can I find scientific images for my projects and presentations?
- How do I get a Weill Cornell Medical College/Graduate School dissertation?
- How do I find the Impact Factor of a journal? Is there a way to find this information online?
- How can I get a copy of the Cornell Medical Index?
- I have a veterinary medicine question--can you help with questions about animal treatment?
- How can I subscribe to Food & Fitness Advisor or Women's Health Advisor?
Accessing Online Resources
- What does the message "You're outside our network. Login to WebVPN" mean?
- How can I get access to the WCMC electronic journals and databases from home?
- As a NYP-WCMC resident or clinical fellow, do I have remote access?
- What e-resources are not available from home or outside the network?
- Where can I get a list of all your electronic journals? What is the password for the electronic journals?
- How can I print or download the full text of articles from electronic journals? Which version should I choose?
- What does the "TOO MANY USERS" message mean when I try to connect to MD Consult?
- What is the difference between PubMed and Ovid?
- Where can I find a medical dictionary online?
- Why am I having trouble opening PDFs from Nature journals in Safari when using WebVPN?
- Who is eligible to take classes at the Library?
- What training opportunities are available beyond the ones offered by the Library?
- Can I take classes remotely?
Interlibrary Services (aka Interlibrary Loan)
- Where do I place an interlibrary loan request?
- How long do I have to wait for an interlibrary loan request to be filled?
- What if I have an urgent request?
- How do I login and make a request for the first time?
Wireless, Computing, and Software
- How do I connect to the Internet with my personal laptop?
- How do I connect to the "Library Wireless" network?
- How do I connect to the Internet with my ITS-tagged laptop?
- Why can't I print from my ITS-tagged wireless laptop in the Library?
- Is there free wireless printing anywhere in the Medical College?
- Where can I get a list of the wireless zones in the College?
- Are Microsoft Office 2003 and Microsoft 2007 files inter-changeable?
- Are Microsoft Office 2007 files compatible with Version 10 of Microsoft Office for the Macintosh?
- Where can I go to read my email?
- Where can I print out my Word documents?
- Where can I connect my laptop to use here in the Library? Can I connect my laptop to the Internet?
- Is there a scanner for patron use in the Library?
- My screen-reading browser cannot read PDFs. How can I get PDFs converted to something useable like HTML or plain text?
- How do I download free full text with EndNote?
- Which PDA tools does the Library offers its users?
Using the Print and Photocopy Management System (PPMS)
- Where are the photocopy machines and how do I pay?
- What are the charges for printing and photocopying in the Library?
- How do I create a PPMS account?
- How do I add value to my PPMS account?
- How do I get a refund on my PPMS account?
- Why is the Library charging for printing?
- How does charging for printing and photocopying affect students?
Library Statistics & Annual Reports
- How can I obtain Library collection statistics for grant applications?
- Are the Library's annual reports available online?
- Who provides the artwork on display in the Library?
- How can I get my artwork displayed in the Library?
Alumni Resource Access
- How do alumni get access to the Library?
- Why are licensed resources not available for alumni to use from home?
- What resources are available to alumni from home?
- What can you do to help alumni who don't live in New York get access to resources?
Using the GET IT button (SFX)
- What is GET IT?
- How do I use GET IT?
- What should I do if there is no full text available from this service?
- Why does GET IT sometimes show more than one option? Which one should I pick?
- When I click to get full text, sometimes I end up on the journal's home page or table of contents. Why can't I go directly to the article?
- When I try to get the full text, I get a screen telling me the item is not found. Why? What should I do?
- I clicked on GET IT, but the menu doesn't appear. What's wrong? Could it be my pop-up blocker?
- Why don't I see the GET IT button?
- Why did my session 'time-out' while using GET IT?
- Who can use GET IT?
- Can I use this service from off campus?
- In what databases does GET IT appear?
- Where can I go to read more about GET IT?
- I have more questions, who do I contact?